Dr Ian Birchall
BAppSc, MSc, PhD
Dr Birchall manages the Histology and Neuropathology scientific service.
Over the past 30 years Ian has been involved in diagnostic and research activities in hospital pathology departments, medical device and tissue engineering companies and university research laboratories predominantly in and around Melbourne’s Parkville precinct. Ian currently manages The Florey’s Neurohistology Laboratory that provides research and diagnostic services to research staff and students, the Victorian Brain Bank, and the Australian National Creutzfeldt–Jakob Disease (CJD) Registry. Ian developed a Quality Management System that enabled the National Dementia Diagnostics Laboratory (NDDL) to obtain NATA pathology testing accreditation for the Alzheimer’s Disease and CJD biomarker tests.
- Neurohistologist, The Florey
- Quality Manager, National Dementia Diagnostics Laboratory
- Honorary Fellow, Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne
- Research Fellow, Department of Pathology, University of Melbourne
- Senior Scientist, Bio Nova International
- Manager, Renal Pathology Laboratory, Royal Melbourne Hospital