Dr Christopher Bye
Dr Bye leads the Personalised Therapeutics Group, specialising in the use of emerging stem cell and genomics technologies to develop therapies for patients with motor neuron disease (MND), Parkinson’s disease and dementia.
Dr Bye’s research focuses on ‘sporadic’ forms of MND and has recently established a breakthrough technology to model sporadic MND using patient-derived motor neurons.
As one of the only laboratories in the world with the capacity to conduct large-scale modelling of sporadic MND, his research program includes major initiatives to:
- Investigate the underlying causes of sporadic MND.
- Map the disease cascade occurring in motor neurons to identify therapeutic targets.
- Conduct large-scale drug screening to find new treatments for MND on a dedicated state-of-the-art robotics platform.
- Perform next generation pre-clinical testing of drugs directly on sporadic patient motor neurons, including population wide assessment of drug efficacy.
- Build personalised medicine approaches to predict the most effective therapies for individual patients.