Dr Bobby Shamim
Dr Baubak (Bobby) Shamim is a biochemist with a background in skeletal muscle physiology and metabolism. He completed his PhD in 2021 from Australian Catholic University, and later undertook a Research Fellowship in the School of Medicine at Deakin University before joining The Florey.
Dr Shamim has multidisciplinary experience conducting preclinical and clinical research aimed at identifying molecular mechanisms and biochemical pathways that can be targeted to develop new therapies for improving musculoskeletal function and metabolic health.
Dr Shamim’s current research is focused on employing precision medicine approaches to treat genetic forms of epilepsy associated with ion channel variants. He is involved in commercially sponsored in vivo drug discovery and development programs.
- Alfred Deakin Dean’s Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Deakin University
Awards and achievements
- 2021 – Alfred Deakin Dean’s Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Deakin University
- 2021 – PhD, Australian Catholic University
- 2016 – Research Masters , University of Birmingham (UK)
- 2014 – Bachelor of Science, University of California, Davis (USA)